VoodooPad 6 Wishlist

John

15 Aug, 2018 03:53 AM

It's been eight months since Primate Labs acquired VoodooPad. We're starting to think about what we want to include in VoodooPad 6. Some things, like iCloud support, are obvious. Other things might not be, so I wanted to create a thread where users could tell us what they want (or what they don't want) to see in VoodooPad 6.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by Kent Sandvik on 26 Aug, 2018 09:27 PM

Oh, here's another one, to make collections for ePub publishing you need to add pages to collections and it's cumbersome with the popup used for selections to be included. Imagine a popup with 1000 pages or more....

Instead, have a predefined page somewhere that you mark as Table of contents and with an outline view you define each entry. Then if this page is marked as the 'ePub' TOC it will take each page from this outline and export it as an ePub (or PDF) document. Much easier to maintain. I suspect it should not take much to do this as the foundation for listing TOC collections is already there.

As a a bonus, make any VoodooPage page a Collection page based on a tag you mark in the info screen.

2. 32 Posted by svs on 27 Aug, 2018 09:59 AM

Would the javascripting be replaced by something else, would python scripting still work or are you looking to remove scripting entirely?

There were some really great comments on the old forum, but I see they have been removed. No chance they have been transferred to Primate? They contained really good stuff.

3. 33 Posted by svs on 29 Aug, 2018 03:54 PM

I'm a long time VP user and have only recently returned when bugs started to be fixed.

I'd like to see the following:
    1. Full RTF editing on iOS. No more, "...you'll lose any formatting when you edit the page on iOS..."
    2. Some type of functions that can be embedded into pages similar to Trunknotes. A function is a small piece of text which gets expanded every time you view the page. For example, {{tagged fred}} will be expanded to show you a list of all the pages which have the fred tag. This would allow pages to be based on functions. You could do this with creating pages from saved searches. This would massively increase the flexibility of VP. You could have a function {{recent 10}} to show the most ten most recently accessed pages...etc.
    3. Bring the tags into the main window to be used as functions as above.
    4. Attach the info window to the editor.

4. 34 Posted by RK on 03 Sep, 2018 01:05 PM

iCloud support!!!!!!!!!, I love Voodoo pad but I never use it because of no iCloud support. That feature will determine whether or not I purchase the next version of Voodoo pad. Thank you

5. 35 Posted by Cyrus on 30 Sep, 2018 07:51 PM

iCloud support is pretty high priority.

As is Dark Mode support on Mojave. It would go a long way to making the app more pleasant to use.

6. 36 Posted by Cyrus on 30 Sep, 2018 08:14 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Encryption support staying is *super* critical to my usage of VoodooPad. This feature alone is why I choose VoodooPad over the rest of the options available. Please keep support for this.

7. 37 Posted by Mac on 15 Oct, 2018 10:07 PM

1) iCloud Document sync support (Dropbox is a privacy nightmare). I want to be able to sync VP without needing a Dropbox account. This is my #1 feature request.
    2) Double-down on making the encryption of documents as strong as possible.
    3) I would also love to see the app as a single-window interface. So ditch the drawer for a collapsible sidebar. Then get rid of the floating info window and let that be a collapsible info pane on the other side of the main window.

And if you want iOS app suggestions:

4) The iOS app is a f*ing UX nightmare. Navigating it you feel like the UI designer got fed up, got drunk, and said: "fuck it." Redo the entire iOS app.

Any idea when we will see VP6?

8. 38 Posted by Peter on 20 Oct, 2018 11:51 AM

- nicer pdf output for Markdown pages (maybe through integration with Marked 2)

9. 39 Posted by Ahmyo on 21 Oct, 2018 05:55 PM

Allow a choice for which side the pages drawer will open on. I prefer left but Voodoo prefers right. Also, as someone else suggested, get the pallettes list integrated into the main editing area -- could be on the right side, like an inspector panel in many software designs.

I also agree -- forget about Markdown - it's just a distraction.

10. 40 Posted by Lee Falin on 24 Oct, 2018 01:19 AM

I'm so glad development is ongoing for this tool. I use VoodooPad every day. Things I would love to see:

1. Currently, Command-Clicking doesn't open a links in a new tab if you have your command-key remapped to another key. (Sys Prefs->Keyboard->Modifier Keys). Even though I have command and caps-lock switched, I have to still press the real Command key to get new tabs to open.

2. A way to switch between tabs via standard tab-switching keyboard shortcuts.

3. An easier way to set margins around the pages. Right now the only way I know how to do it is to fiddle with ruler and that seems to have to be repeated on every page.

4. A built-in keyboard shortcut for "Link Section to Page..." (right now I have a custom shortcut for this.

5. A way to configure the parser to automatically identify wiki words in a format other than "WikiWords". (I use VoodooPad to hold story bibles, so I'd love to make it so that it automatically wikifies all capitalized words that aren't found at the beginning fo the sentence.

6. I'd love to see the most common pallets (like Pages) turned into some kind of sidebar navigation that you could always have available.

Keep up the great work.

11. 41 Posted by Bernardo Vascon... on 24 Nov, 2018 06:07 PM

Some suggestions:

• Page drawer → Sidebar
    • No more floating panes
    • Outline view of the article
    • Treeview of the collection
    • Footnote support
    • Full multimarkdown support of the latest version (v.6)
    • Text-folding (as seen in many outline and markdown apps)
    • Collection export as a single file
    • Ability to keep/export (whole) collection as individual txt files.
    • Pandoc integration (hence the ability to export Latex, docx, multimarkdown, html, and so on)
    • More html export template options.
    • Keyboard-centric navigation
    • A pdf panel and the ability to link text to anchors/highlights in the pdf
    • Hashtags automatic conversion to proper tags (#tag → VoodooPad tag)
    • Git-versioning and Github/Gitlab integration
    • Integrations with bibliography managers (for academics)
    • Mind-map view of the collection
    • Discount for those who are about to purchase the version 5 ;) (even though if a number of these features are implemented, I will be more than happy to pay for it again.)
  12. 42 Posted by vaalbara on 27 Nov, 2018 10:44 PM

First of all best wishes to the development team. I'm using VP since 2011; both for my personal life and scientific research: I always keep two separate vpdocs open on the desktop. For the last couple of years I've been using VP as a to-do manager but without basic reminders or such it's not that easy. On the other hand when you have a separate page dedicated to your equipment or your car or let's say a set of snippets for a remote cluster here on this platform then it's hard to use another one. For a while I even tried to use VP as a bookmarks/page clips manager (with PopClip) but stopped doing that and moved that business to Evernote.

• A Windows or a Linux port would be nice :) My last service experience with Apple was a bitter one.
    • #tags and ability to search for them (e.g. before having a meeting with a colleague I generally search for his name to remember topics to be discussed)
    • A table of contents feature would be nice. It's hard to navigate inside a very-long page.
    • As suggested above, an outline view of the article.
    • easier linking between separate .vpdoc documents (if you a page with the same name under this document then the link does not work).
    • Wiki style category navigation to the parent page.

Thanks for listening.

13. 43 Posted by Mark Larick on 29 Nov, 2018 06:17 PM

Anything and everything that Circus Ponies Notebook did, that is what you need to do. Thanks, still splashing about, trying to figure this out.

14. 44 Posted by buysj on 29 Nov, 2018 06:49 PM

Well, with the exception of going out of business and blaming Microsoft.

15. 45 Posted by Mark Larick on 29 Nov, 2018 09:11 PM

Good one! Thanks! Mark

Sent from my iPad

16. 46 Posted by Andrew on 29 Nov, 2018 09:28 PM

I really believe it would be a mistake to lard too many features and functions onto Voodoo Pad. Trying to formalize to do type functions, calendar reminders, and other higher level time/project management stuff would kill the delightful simplicity and ease of use.

I've used just about every Mac-based note taker, PM tool, note book type app that's been released in the past fifteen years, and most of them are dead....in my opinion because they tried to do too much.

17. 47 Posted by Mark Larick on 29 Nov, 2018 11:28 PM

Hello Andrew. Thanks for replying. I didn’t get the notice that Circus Ponies closed up shop, so I didn’t get to export all of my notebooks to PDF and drop quick-times in a folder. And I could not go back to El Capitan on my machine. All in the past.

I am sure I will get familiar with the interface, and cruise on forward. I love the simple interface, and your logo is RAD!

Thanks again for your email! I was going to spend time on the 15 page max demo, but I will activate the full software tonight after dinner. Very excited!

All the best!

mark

18. 48 Posted by vaalbara on 02 Dec, 2018 04:05 PM

Depending on one's perspective Voodoopad could also be called a dead app :) (Thank you Primate Labs). I don't know the real reason behind Circus Ponies, and as a consumer I don't know why great/aspiring note-taking apps are closing shop: was it trying to add too many features or something different? Maybe one day someone will try to answer the question that is hidden inside Andrew's last paragraph, starting with this comment of Jayson Adams from 2003:
    https://joi.ito.com/weblog/2003/03/07/scott-love-the.html#comment-2813

Maybe that question should be answered first before asking for customer/user wishes :)

19. 49 Posted by svs on 02 Dec, 2018 04:58 PM

Depending on one's perspective Voodoopad could also be called a dead app :)

I actually think the fact that so many people are obviously still using it show's how robust it has been. It is far from dead (apart perhaps from the iOS version).

I too have a fear voiced earlier in the thread that its simplicity will be overwhelmed by too many features. Voodoopad needs only do one thing well and that is be a wiki. It's the only app of it's kind (although some apps are catching up in this regard). Being able to simply link text and build an information wiki is fantastic. It just needs massively updating and aspects such as linking, sharing, importing/exporting, formatting, tagging need an overhaul. IMO if it attempts to become what other notes apps are it will lose its value. It needs to be wiki front and foremost.

I don't know why great/aspiring note-taking apps are closing shop

I used Circus Ponies app for a while. At the end of the day, lack of revenue usually closes companies. I recently heard that 90% of new companies close within the first year and 90% of those left close in the first five years. There are a lot of software applications available. Subscriptions have also created many losers and some winners. The market is tougher as everyone want a piece of the pie.

20. 50 Posted by Stan on 06 Dec, 2018 08:38 PM

Replying to Post #15

"Publishing is one of the more popular (and more complicated) features of VoodooPad. While we're not planning on removing publishing entirely in VoodooPad 6, we are planning on removing parts of it in order to simplify it.

We are planning on removing features in VoodooPad 6 that we believe aren't widely used and that have significant ongoing security and maintenance issues. These features include:

Web Server
    JavaScript Scripting
    Plugins
    If you depend on any of these features please let us know."

THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF Voodoos' CAREER.
    Personal wikis are always there for the creators and less so for the 'gurgitators. A dumbed-downed wiki? that's a first. Either way, just my two cents.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac