VoodooPad 6 Preview 2

John

25 Mar, 2020 12:39 AM

VoodooPad 6 Preview 2 is available for download:

https://voodoopad.s3.amazonaws.com/VoodooPad-6.0.0-Preview2.zip

What's New?

• Add the Alias and Backlinks panels to the Information sidebar.
  • Add a context menu to the Pages sidebar.
  • Increase the default text inset from 0 to 5.
  • Fix several issues with Dark Mode.
  • Fix an issue where the current page may not be selected in the Pages sidebar.
  • Fix an issue where showing or hiding the sidebars could cause the window to resize in unexpected ways.
  • Fix an issue where the Pages or Information sidebar could obscure the current page.
  • Fix an issue where buttons may not appear on "Remove Formatting" alert panel.
  • Fix a crash that could occur when using "Export as Files" on a document with plain text pages.

Let me know if you have any comments or questions regarding this release.

1. 1 Posted by jetsgaudin on 25 Mar, 2020 10:51 AM

I had hoped that this version would fix the “Web export” function. I find it very useful to be able to archive a document by a web export so that it can be read by Safari exactly as it is in VoodooPad.
    Unfortunately since VDP 6 this is not possible. The document is exported and the files are indexed but opening the individual pages strips them of their links and looses the page formatting. In addition the home or index page looses its formatting.

Luckely the VDP 6 documents can still be read and exported correctly by VDP 5.3 but this is not a very satisfactory solution.

2. 2 Posted by scf.acc on 26 Mar, 2020 02:45 AM

Good to see a VP6p2 release - Thank you!!!

I also noticed the "Web export" function flattened the output and stripped all the links. Didn't render correctly. If needed I can probably send an example .html file, but I expect it will reproduce pretty easily. I'm on macOS 10.14.6 BTW.

3. 3 Posted by Jeffrey on 27 Mar, 2020 02:25 AM

First impressions.

I like the old Pages drawer better. Just nicer experience. Could you please allow the divider on the left side to be dragged all the way in to the far left of the main window? At present it does not appear that the drawer width is resizable at all. I can get the width tool to appear but it doesn't drag in either direction. Page Drawer also defaults to far too wide. Should default to size of longest page name + a few picas and be resizable down to a slim nothing. The way that Atlassian does it with Jira side panels or Adobe Acrobat.

When clicking on pages in the Pages Drawer, there is a LONG delay. Even if it takes a second to launch, would be nice to provide some feedback that the page is going to open in a second (or two ... or three). Better than visual feedback would be to open pages faster, but that's probably as much a function of the system as anything and somewhat out of your control. Still that code surely could be optimized to speed up when one clicks on a page in the drawer to when it opens in an adjacent tab.

Are the Pages and Info drawers locked to left and right? How about a preference to swap them or even better open either on the left if nothing else is open there, and then the second one opens on the right or vice versa? The old Pages drawer was very obvious about which side it would open on and I could force it to do my bidding.

The Type Palette is a small improvement. I will play around with it some more to see how it is under stress. The Spacing palette is still a big chore and not really any improvement at all, except you have seven options in the Spacing palette and one of those (maybe 2?) make it into the Type palette. Why cannot the Spacing palette be either free floating like the Type Palette or in a Drawer like Info/Pages? Why doesn't the Spacing palette have a keycode shortcut option?

Speaking of shortcuts, how about a formatting shortcut, cmd-Y that duplicates what is done in Word -- redo previous action. Would be a huge timesaver.

Personally, what I would really like to see is both Type and Spacing not as a floating palette but as drawers similar to how Pages and Info get placed. I guess you'd need some user-defined logic what the rank of the open drawers would be if I had both Pages and Info open and wanted to open Text or Spaces, but this is such an edge case. I typically only want one drawer open at a time. My two cents is put any of the palettes in the drawer position. Simple rule would be the user defines which side a given palette will land. If something is already open on that side it gets pre-empted. I just think those drawer positions are under utilized and easy to open and close and a palette like spacing is exactly the opposite.

4. 4 Posted by Jeffrey on 27 Mar, 2020 02:39 AM

One little bug that is easy to duplicate. Open the Info drawer. Leave it open. Open the Pages drawer. It bumps the far right edge of the main window over to the left. Doesn't matter which order you open the two drawers in. Closing them does not reduce the window size. Once they are both open I cannot make the window any smaller width-wise. If I close one of the drawers, it goes back to allowing a window resize.

I happen to position VP on the far right side of the left monitor of a 2 monitor setup, so it is really obvious when this happens. I would think you should obey the user's specified window size and not expand the window beyond that boundary. Wouldn't be surprised if this is even specified in Apple's HIG.

5. 5 Posted by Jeffrey on 27 Mar, 2020 03:05 AM

Also my previous comment about the long time for links opening in tabs from the Pages drawer is equally true for links in the document to other pages. Pages opening in tabs take too long to load. Compare side by side VP5 and VP6. It is at least 2x as long to open a page in 6.

Another bug. This time a crash of VP. Snippet from the problem report that I did not send to Apple. I am sure I could duplicate it. I am going to go back to 5 now, until 6 is more stable.

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000623022bfbec0
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
    Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
    Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

VM Regions Near 0x623022bfbec0:
        MALLOC_NANO 0000604000000000-0000604003400000 [ 52.0M] rw-/rwx SM=PRV
    -->
        STACK GUARD 0000700001db5000-0000700001db6000 [ 4K] ---/rwx SM=NUL stack guard for thread 3

6. 6 Posted by Jeffrey on 27 Mar, 2020 03:07 AM

I should have added the crashed thread details. You might be able to use this.

Thread 18 Crashed:
    0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff54f6be9d objc_msgSend + 29
    1 com.apple.UIFoundation 0x00007fff518e4d55 +[NSStringDrawingTextStorageSettings threadSpecificStringDrawingTextStorageSettings:] + 60
    2 com.apple.UIFoundation 0x00007fff518e4e2b +[NSString(NSStringDrawing) setTypesetterBehavior:] + 72
    3 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff2baa7d7a -[NSView(NSInternal) _recursive:displayRectIgnoringOpacity:inGraphicsContext:shouldChangeFontReferenceColor:] + 480
    4 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff2baa7b94 -[NSView(NSInternal) _recursive:displayRectIgnoringOpacity:inContext:shouldChangeFontReferenceColor:] + 56
    5 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff2b339074 __46-[NSView(NSLayerKitGlue) drawLayer:inContext:]_block_invoke + 289
    6 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff2b338c08 -[NSView(NSLayerKitGlue) _drawViewBackingLayer:inContext:drawingHandler:] + 1577
    7 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff2b3385d9 -[NSView(NSLayerKitGlue) drawLayer:inContext:] + 77
    8 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x00007fff38fde882 -[CALayer _display] + 1166
    9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff2b33759e _NSBackingLayerDisplay + 556
    10 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff2b32c409 -[_NSViewBackingLayer display] + 242
    11 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x00007fff38fcfe29 CA::Layer::display_if_needed(CA::Transaction*) + 633
    12 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x00007fff38fcf8e7 CA::Layer::layout_and_display_if_needed(CA::Transaction*) + 35
    13 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x00007fff38fce8d8 CA::Context::commit_transaction(CA::Transaction*) + 326
    14 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x00007fff38fce475 CA::Transaction::commit() + 487
    15 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x00007fff38fe5585 CA::Transaction::release_thread(void*) + 209
    16 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff55eb11aa _pthread_tsd_cleanup + 534
    17 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff55eb0ee9 _pthread_exit + 79
    18 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff55eaf24b _pthread_wqthread + 1613
    19 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff55eaebe9 start_wqthread + 13

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by John on 29 Mar, 2020 05:42 AM

We'll look at what's going on with Web Export. I'll be in touch if we need any additional information to reproduce the issue.

We'll also look at what's going on with the delay in opening pages from the Pages sidebar. Opening Pages should be something that happens quickly, and I'm disappointed to hear that it's not.

8. 8 Posted by Darin on 31 Mar, 2020 04:54 PM

Another request for being able to change the size of the Pages drawer. It's huge (my page names tend to be really short, so I don't need a large drawer. And I should be able to resize it as needed.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac