VoodooPad 6 Preview 1

John

30 Dec, 2019 03:21 AM

I'm pleased to announce that VoodooPad 6 Preview 1 is available for download:

https://voodoopad.s3.amazonaws.com/VoodooPad-6.0.0-Preview1.zip

VoodooPad 6 uses the same document format as VoodooPad 5, so there's no need to upgrade your documents in order to try VoodooPad 6. That said, VoodooPad 6 is still pre-release software so please make sure you back up your documents!

VoodooPad 6 also accepts VoodooPad 5 licenses (at least for now) -- we want to give VoodooPad users a chance to try VoodooPad 6 out and provide us with candid feedback on its direction.

What's New?

While we've made lots of small changes that should improve the performance and stability of VoodooPad 6, here are the major changes we think user will be excited about.

Unified Interface

VoodooPad 6 moves the most commonly-used palettes, the Page Info and the Page List palettes, from the floating palette window into the main window:

Several palettes remain in the floating palette window. We're currently exploring ways to integrate these palettes into the main window as well.

Markdown

VoodooPad 6 features improved Markdown support thanks to a new Markdown parser and a completely re-written Markdown highlighter. The new parser provides faster and more robust support for Markdown markup. The new highlighter generates better typography for Markdown pages:

Export

VoodooPad 6 adds a new "Export to Files" option which saves each item in its native format to a directory. This allows users a way to backup their data in a way that does not use VoodooPad's file format.

VoodooPad 6 also features re-worked ePub, PDF, and Web export options that are both simpler and more reliable.

Dark Mode

VoodooPad 6 supports Dark Mode on macOS Mojave and later:

What's Removed?

As part of modernizing and simplifying VoodooPad 6, we've removed some major functionality that some users might miss.

Scripting

VoodooPad 6 no longer supports scripting, either via JavaScript or AppleScript. If your VoodooPad documents contain any scripts these scripts are treated as plain text pages -- the scripts will not be deleted but they also will not be executed.

Web Server

VoodooPad 6 no longer includes a built-in web server.

What's Coming?

VoodooPad 6 isn't done! Here's what we're going to add in future builds.

iCloud

VoodooPad 6 should "just work" with documents saved on iCloud Drive (in the same way VoodooPad 5 "just works" with Dropbox). Deeper integration with iCloud, along with macOS and iOS synchronization, is coming in future builds.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by John on 03 Feb, 2020 07:54 PM

I'm really glad to see that VP 6 is happening, as after some years in the wilderness, I've realized that there's still nothing as good as VoodooPad out there. Good to know it's under active development.

I didn't use any of the dropped features so that's a non-issue for me. The conversion of the pages drawer into an area of the main window is a little painful, though. I don't know why Apple has marched away from drawers... the VP Pages drawer took up minimal space relative to the amount of information it contained, and didn't shift the page around when you opened and closed it! It was ideal!

2. Support Staff 32 Posted by John on 03 Feb, 2020 09:15 PM

Kent, when you use the HTML export, are you using one of the built-in templates, or do you leave that option empty?

3. 33 Posted by Kent Sandvik on 03 Feb, 2020 09:17 PM

I have to re-trace my steps, have not exported from VP5 for close to a year. In any case, for RTF files it seems to bake in the css in the html and the hope is that nothing of such kind is done as then I had to write sed filters to yank that out. Even better, providing an external css url path via a template would be the way to go. This might be related to only RTF files but any html export from VP should be treated the same way.

4. 34 Posted by Kent Sandvik on 03 Feb, 2020 09:19 PM

It's been over a year since I last exported html from VP5 so I don't remember the details. This could RTF format related, last time it embedded styles as css into the html file itself. Those should be without any css or then via template point at external css url.

Now, this could be RTF format only related -- at the same time any internal format should be treated the same way when exporting to html.

5. 35 Posted by andrewb on 05 Feb, 2020 05:14 PM

I am tripping over a new behavior I would like removed or would like a preference to turn off. VP6 is automatically generating a link for a wiki style name. For example, when I type 'CodeCurrencyConverter' VP6 automatically creates a link. As I am a software developer, all of my class names are in camel case and trigger this link behavior, but I don't intend for there to be a link (that is what the link button is for).

VP5 and earlier did not do this. Can this be changed?

6. 36 Posted by Kent Sandvik on 05 Feb, 2020 06:38 PM

Yes, this should be a preference. Also could we now make automatic links in markdown files, i.e a link is automatically generated if a page with that name exists in the database. This happens with RFT files and is **very** handy for me.

7. 37 Posted by John on 05 Feb, 2020 06:48 PM

@andrewb @Kent isn't this automatic wikilink behavior controlled by the longstanding "highlight and underline potential links (WikiWords) checkbox under the Appearance tab in preferences?

8. 38 Posted by andrewb on 05 Feb, 2020 08:27 PM

John, you are correct. I now see that when I installed VP6, this check became enabled. Un-checking it solve my issue. Thanks!

9. 39 Posted by Wim on 05 Feb, 2020 08:58 PM

Aliases are missing.

In VP5 you could add an alias to a page (in info-aliases). It was handy; when you had a page named "Donald Trump", you could set "Donald" or "Trump" (or "effing bastard", if you were so inclined) as aliases, so that other pages would link to the Donald Trump page when using either the official name of the page, or any alias you installed for it.

This functionality seems to have been gone in VP6. Perhaps I just missed it, but if it is really gone, could you bring it back, please?

10. 40 Posted by Jeffrey on 27 Mar, 2020 02:32 AM

Aliases seem to be there from what I see. Look in the Info drawer under the Page tab. My aliases even seem to have carried over from VP5.

11. Support Staff 41 Posted by John on 29 Mar, 2020 05:39 AM

Jeffrey,

The Alias UI (along with the Backlinks UI) was added to the Page sidebar in Preview 2.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac