Geekbench 5 & 4 randomly hang benchmarking in Windows & macOS

debilbao

18 Oct, 2020 08:11 AM

I've setup a new computer with the following configuration, and the latest versions of Geekbench 5 and 4 randomly hang while benchmarking, usually at the end of the test. The system freezes while showing "Machine Learning", the latest test of the benchmark.

- Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard
- Intel i7-9700F @4,7GHz processor cooled by a Noctua NH-U12S
- Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
- 32GB RAM G-Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 3000 CL15 (2x16GB sticks in bank 1 and bank 3)

Geekbench doesn't consistently freezes and some times runs OK, so I've been able to get scores, but I want to identify why. It's the only app that hangs in my system. I've tried other benchmarking software and the system performs perfectly with them. I've even tried Unigine during a lot of hours and the system is 100% stable.

Freezing happens either in the latest Windows 10 Pro 2004 version (fresh install) or with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H2) or the latest macOS Big Sur beta 11.0 (Build 20A5384c).

Compute benchmark always runs flawlessly.

Thanks in advance,

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by John on 21 Oct, 2020 05:22 AM

If your system freezes while running Geekbench that's usually a sign of an underlying hardware issue. Have you run memtest on your memory?

2. 2 Posted by debilbao on 21 Oct, 2020 08:19 AM

I've been able to identify the problem, and the culprit is the BIOS version I was using.

I've rolled back from version F9i to version F9g in my Z390 Designare motherboard and now Geekbench runs perfectly with no freezes, either in Windows or macOS.

In Windows 10 Pro I'm getting a score of around 1300 in single-core and around 8075 in multi-core, but in macOS I'm getting a lower score, around 1160 in single-core and 7660 in multi-core. I'll try to figure out why, but I'm guessing that Windows is pushing the Turbo-boost and macOS doesn't.

I've tested the system thoroughly with many stress tests, but I haven't run memtest. I'll give it a try.

Best regards

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac