comparing iphone 5 and ipod touch 6 battery scores

thaney

21 Jan, 2020 08:34 PM

John, I use iphones for scanning barcodes. I'm trying to determine which units have the best batteries - last the longest. ( I have about 75 of each)
Problem statement: some of the devices run out of battery power in a short time (20% power message).
I can think of a few ways to compare
1. Look at history and see how long it takes each device to rearch 20%. The longer the better.
2. Use the battery score, and the highest scores are the best devices
I would gladly get GB5 pro, but this version requires 11.0, and the 5 and 6 max out at 10. something.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Tom Haney
Registration Technology

1. 1 Posted by Artem S. Tashki... on 23 Jan, 2020 06:04 PM

I'm curious why you can't use literally dozens of other battery testing apps.

It's not like scanning barcodes requires any CPU power which means all you wanna test is how much your battery life is for a given brightness level.

2. 2 Posted by thaney on 23 Jan, 2020 06:32 PM

Artem,
    Thank you for responding. I've tried a dozen apps but never felt they really measured how strong the battery was. Guess I could charge everyone up to 100%, turn everyone on with bright white screen, with no timeout, and see who dies first and last, etc.
    I tried doing a test similar to this with the phones scanning a barcode flashing on the screen of a laptop. It just became a huge project with 100+ phones.

I've never felt the other apps were really testing the batteries. I felt they were measuring something and spitting out a Good, Bad, Excellent rating.
    For example, looking at another app
    iphone 1: Battery Health Good, 1200/1507 mAh Current Capacity - 1188/1200 mAh
    #2 Battery Health Bad, 1000/1440 mAh Current Capacity - 980/1000 mAh

Another test app shows:
    Battery level 78% - duh, same reading on the battery % on the iphone
    Voltage 3.6 volts
    temp 30
    current avg: 0 mAh
    Current how -543 mah

Some of the others show Battery Charge 936/1200 78%. The same 78% is can see in the top right of the phone next to the battery. This tells me what the charge is now, but not how strong the battery is in the long term. Then it shows runtimes. But I think these #'s are based on the charge. Again, it won't tell me which phones will last the longest.
    I'm not a tech person, and other than labels some apps use: Good and Bad, I can't ascertain what the numbers mean, and how to compare one phone vs. another.

Your app i felt at least did a real stress test on the phone and came back with a #. If I have 50 phones and most are in the 800 range, a few in 1000, and one in 300, this tells me that the 300 should not be used, or at least replace the battery. Those in 1000 are the best ones, and the others are average.

That's my thinking on the subject. Am I missing something? is there a different app that would do what I'm looking for?

Thank you,
    Tom

Thomas Haney

President

Registration Technology

P: 708-383-5950

3. 3 Posted by thaney on 23 Jan, 2020 07:16 PM

I charged up phone #2 to 100%. (Before it was at ~ 97%)
    Now it says
    Battery Health Average 1200/1440 and Current Capacity 1200/1200.
    There is also a battery health bar below showing 83%. I forget what it said the first time.

A phone can't be bad and average and have it dependent on the charge. At least it doesn't make sense to me.
    Tom

Thomas Haney

President

Registration Technology

Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:32 PM
    To: Artem S. Tashkinov <[email blocked]>
    Subject: Re: comparing iphone 5 and ipod touch 6 battery scores [Geekbench #56288]

Artem,
    Thank you for responding. I've tried a dozen apps but never felt they really measured how strong the battery was. Guess I could charge everyone up to 100%, turn everyone on with bright white screen, with no timeout, and see who dies first and last, etc.
    I tried doing a test similar to this with the phones scanning a barcode flashing on the screen of a laptop. It just became a huge project with 100+ phones.

I've never felt the other apps were really testing the batteries. I felt they were measuring something and spitting out a Good, Bad, Excellent rating.
    For example, looking at another app
    iphone 1: Battery Health Good, 1200/1507 mAh Current Capacity - 1188/1200 mAh
    #2 Battery Health Bad, 1000/1440 mAh Current Capacity - 980/1000 mAh

Another test app shows:
    Battery level 78% - duh, same reading on the battery % on the iphone
    Voltage 3.6 volts
    temp 30
    current avg: 0 mAh
    Current how -543 mah

Some of the others show Battery Charge 936/1200 78%. The same 78% is can see in the top right of the phone next to the battery. This tells me what the charge is now, but not how strong the battery is in the long term. Then it shows runtimes. But I think these #'s are based on the charge. Again, it won't tell me which phones will last the longest.
    I'm not a tech person, and other than labels some apps use: Good and Bad, I can't ascertain what the numbers mean, and how to compare one phone vs. another.

Your app i felt at least did a real stress test on the phone and came back with a #. If I have 50 phones and most are in the 800 range, a few in 1000, and one in 300, this tells me that the 300 should not be used, or at least replace the battery. Those in 1000 are the best ones, and the others are average.

That's my thinking on the subject. Am I missing something? is there a different app that would do what I'm looking for?

Thank you,
    Tom

Thomas Haney

President

Registration Technology

4. 4 Posted by Artem S. Tashki... on 24 Jan, 2020 10:29 AM

I've found these tests which give you hard numbers:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/battery-life-check-runtimes/id1080930585
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/battery-testing/id887730232

Mind that fully charging and fully discharging your battery kills it quite fast. You can Google for Li-Ion battery extend lifespan

5. 5 Posted by thaney on 24 Jan, 2020 05:44 PM

Thank you for understanding what I'm trying to do, and for the suggestions. Will check it out.

Where are you. Must not be in US since you wrote this at 4:29 AM

Tom

Thomas Haney

President

Registration Technology

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac