GeekBench 5 crashes AMD Radeon VII on Mac Pro

Pedro Conforti

01 Dec, 2019 10:30 PM

Hi everyone, maybe someone could shed a light on this.

I just bought this Radeon VII card on eBay and installed it on my Mac Pro 5,1 running Mojave (10.14.6). But the card performance hasn't impressed me so far (I bought it to replace a Maxwell nVIDIA Titan X) on my main work software (BlackMagic Design DaVinci Resolve 16.1.1.005) and I wanted to know it everything was running as expected or if there is some bottleneck I could not find, maybe drivers problems or something else. Thats why I downloaded GeekBench 5, which I have never used before.

So after testing the CPU i've tried to run the GPU compute tests on both Metal and OpenCL, but they always crash the GPU. Even if they run for a about 20 seconds, they both cause the card to simply shut off. The Mac Pro cover was open so I could see that the card lights just turned off and it seemed dead. Had to do a hard shutdown (take out the Mac AC cable) to be able to turn it back on.

Is it possible that my card has a failure? What can I do to be sure it is fine? And why does GeekBench cause these crashes?

Thanks,

Pedro

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Colin on 02 Dec, 2019 06:59 PM

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this, and I'm sorry for any trouble caused by this issue. This is quite unusual, and I'd like to ask a few questions to narrow down what may have caused this.

Could you let me know which version of Geekbench 5 you were using (e.g. 5.0.3 or 5.0.4), as well as if you are using the Radeon VII drivers that come with macOS updates or the ones that are available through AMD's website? If your system is using a graphics driver from AMD's website, could you let me know which driver version it is?

If Geekbench crashed due to an error, it may have created an error log in the ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder. Could you send me any files in that folder that contain "geekbench" in their filename?

Lastly, we have run into a similar issue with a system in our lab which was mis-configured, where the system's power supply was not quite strong enough to keep up with the maximum power consumption of the GPU. For this kind of issue, I would recommend double-checking that the system's power supply is appropriate for the hardware that your system is running.

All the best,
    Colin

Primate Labs Inc.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac