CPU Benchmark abort on MacBook Air with Geekbench 5

Greg Morin

19 Nov, 2019 08:58 PM

When I run GeekBench 5 on a MacBook Air (Late 2018) running 10.14.6 (MacBook Air 8,1) and I do the CPU benchmark it aborts shortly after the HTML5 step (I can't see where it aborts exactly as it flashes briefly and disappears). It does this every time at the exact same place. I have restarted the machine to no avail. It works fine on other machines with the same OS. There are no log files I can find nor anything in the Console, so idea why it is abruptly just stopping. The app doesn't crash, it just stops midway during the test and shows no result. Is this a known bug? Is there a work around or fix? Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Colin on 20 Nov, 2019 04:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about this, and I apologize for any trouble caused by this issue. This is not a known issue, and I'd like to ask a couple of questions to help us investigate this.

Could you let me know which version of Geekbench 5 you are using (e.g. Geekbench 5.0.4)? Also, do I understand correctly that the application returns to the benchmark selection screen after the benchmark stops running?

If the HTML5 workload is running for a little while, and then flashing to something different briefly before the error, then the SQLite workload which comes next is likely what it failing. Could you let me know if this occurs in the first half or last half of the benchmark? CPU benchmarks run the single-core versions of each workload and then the multi-core versions, and it would be helpful to know which one is failing.

Thanks for your patience with this issue so far.

All the best,
    Colin

Primate Labs Inc.

2. 2 Posted by Greg Morin on 20 Nov, 2019 05:28 PM

On Nov 20, 2019, at 11:40, Colin <[email blocked]> wrote:

// Please reply above this line 
    ================================================== 

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about this, and I apologize for any trouble caused by this issue. This is not a known issue, and I'd like to ask a couple of questions to help us investigate this.

Could you let me know which version of Geekbench 5 you are using (e.g. Geekbench 5.0.4)? 

Geekbench 5.0.4

Also, do I understand correctly that the application returns to the benchmark selection screen after the benchmark stops running?

Correct

If the HTML5 workload is running for a little while, and then flashing to something different briefly before the error, then the SQLite workload which comes next is likely what it failing.

Watched it again, it does the SQLite workload than briefly flashes "PDF Rendering" and fails at that as soon as it starts

Could you let me know if this occurs in the first half or last half of the benchmark?

First half of the benchmark, 25 seconds in.

only about CPU benchmarks run the single-core versions of each workload and then the multi-core versions, and it would be helpful to know which one is failing.

So it seems it is failing at the single core version then.

This is the Intel Core i5-8210Y @ 1.60 GHz if that helps

Greg

All the best,
    Colin

Primate Labs Inc.

On Tue, Nov 19 at 12:58 PM PST, Greg Morin wrote:

When I run GeekBench 5 on a MacBook Air (Late 2018) running 10.14.6 (MacBook Air 8,1) and I do the CPU benchmark it aborts shortly after the HTML5 step (I can't see where it aborts exactly as it flashes briefly and disappears). It does this every time at the exact same place. I have restarted the machine to no avail. It works fine on other machines with the same OS. There are no log files I can find nor anything in the Console, so idea why it is abruptly just stopping. The app doesn't crash, it just stops midway during the test and shows no result. Is this a known bug? Is there a work around or fix? Thanks.

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: CPU Benchmark abort on MacBook Air with Geekbench 5.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Colin on 21 Nov, 2019 08:13 PM

Thank you very much for the additional details. I'll pass this information along to my team and see if we can determine the cause of this issue, with the goal of fixing it in a future update or finding a workaround.

All the best,
    Colin

Primate Labs Inc.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac