Geekbench 5 Compute test crashes RX580 Mac Pro 2010

Daniel

13 Sep, 2019 08:06 PM

I've just tried running Geekbench 5 Compute test twice, both times the system crashed in a drastic way I've never experienced before. When the Geekbench 5 app is the only app open, suddenly the screen goes black and all the system fans start running at full speed. The caps lock key on the keyboard still toggles on and off but I can't use the system, have to hold the power button to turn it off. This happened the first time while the Geekbench app was open to the Compute tab but not running the benchmark, I believe. Or maybe I had just clicked the button. The second crash happened about 15-30 seconds into running the Compute test.

I was able to run the CPU test without problems. Here is my result: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/141029

Here's my system specs:
Mac Pro 5,1 Mid-2010 dual CPU model, BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 (latest)
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 with all updates
Dual 3.33GHz Xeon X5680 processors (upgraded)
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580 8GB with Apple EFI from MacVidCards.com
48GB ECC DDR3-10600 RAM (3x16GB matched set)
Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe SSD in IO-Crest SI-PEX40129 dual NVMe PCIe adapter
Inateck KT4001 USB 3.0 PCIe adapter
WD Red 6TB x2 RAID 0 + WD Green 2TB concatenated (JBOD) Apple RAID array
LG 3840x2160 Monitor (DisplayPort) + LG 1920x1080 Monitor (HDMI)

1. 1 Posted by Daniel on 13 Sep, 2019 08:14 PM

I should note, I can run Geekbench 4 Compute test perfectly fine on this same system. Here is my result: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/4538080

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by John on 21 Sep, 2019 04:03 PM

Could you run the following command from the Terminal and send me the output?

/Applications/Geekbench\ 5.app/Contents/Resources/geekbench_x86_64 --compute

3. 3 Posted by danny t on 23 Sep, 2019 11:37 PM

Hi John, that caused my computer to crash hard again, in the same way.
    Which, I wish you would have warned me about, because I was in the middle
    of an important work file upload.

I believe it crashed after it said it started the second test, "Running
    Canny" or something like that.

If there's a way I can send you diagnostic info without running the test /
    crashing my computer, I will, but I don't want to suffer another crash like
    this again, it's extremely concerning.

PS, running this command made me notice the Geekbench 5 app is in my
    Downloads folder, not Applications, if that makes any difference.

4. 4 Posted by Pronob Ashwin on 19 Dec, 2019 09:42 PM

Interesting. I have the almost exact same config as you and I ran the GPU benchmark. I got a crash during the compute phase (Gaussian blur) - computer actually shut down. I had to power cycle the Mac to turn it back on again. I read somewhere else that maybe the power supply isn't sufficient for these updated tests for Geekbench 5.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/835877

5. 5 Posted by Daniel Toman on 19 Dec, 2019 11:30 PM

Hi there, thanks for following up about this.

I have heard of Mac Pros crashing due to overloaded power supplies from GPUs drawing too much power. However I have never experienced that on my Mac Pro with this GPU even when running known power-hungry benchmark / stress-test apps like Furmark.

I guess one way to test that would be to run it with a GPU that draws less power than the RX580.

6. 6 Posted by fabrizio on 22 Dec, 2019 04:25 PM

when start the sqlite the computer reboot

7. 7 Posted by startergo on 20 Jan, 2020 04:59 PM

My cMP5,1 shuts down in the middle of the GB test. My video card is installed in an expansion chassis with its own platinum 1500W PSU so the power draw inside the cMP should be minimal.

8. 8 Posted by Artem S. Tashki... on 21 Jan, 2020 04:27 PM

Again, I've said that before and I'll repeat it: if your OS crashes while running a user space application, it's the OS issue, not the application's.

Please consult with "How to Use the Mac Console App to Diagnose a Crash" (find it via Google - this forum doesn't allow me to post links).

Then google for Technical Note TN2118, Kernel Core Dumps.

In any case you should request support from Apple, not from GB.

9. 9 Posted by MM on 01 May, 2020 05:01 AM

Looks to me like there's a problem with the GB app:

/Applications/Geekbench\ 5.app/Contents/Resources/geekbench_x86_64 --compute metal
    Geekbench 5.1.1 Tryout : https://www.geekbench.com/

Geekbench 5 is in tryout mode.

Geekbench 5 requires an active Internet connection when in tryout mode, and
    automatically uploads test results to the Geekbench Browser. Other features
    are unavailable in tryout mode.

Buy a Geekbench 5 license to enable offline use and remove the limitations of
    tryout mode.

If you would like to purchase Geekbench you can do so online:

https://store.primatelabs.com/v5

If you have already purchased Geekbench, enter your email address and license
    key from your email receipt with the following command line:

/Applications/Geekbench 5.app/Contents/Resources/geekbench_x86_64 -r <email
    address> <license key>

Running Gathering system information
    System Information
      Operating System macOS 10.13.6 (Build 17G65)
      Model MacPro5,1
      Model ID MacPro5,1
      Motherboard Apple Inc. Mac-F221BEC8
      BIOS Apple Inc. MP51.88Z.0084.B00.1708080528

Processor Information
      Name Intel Xeon X5690
      Topology 2 Processors, 12 Cores, 24 Threads
      Identifier GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 44 Stepping 2
      Base Frequency 3.46 GHz
      L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB x 6
      L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB x 6
      L2 Cache 256 KB x 6
      L3 Cache 12.0 MB

Memory Information
      Size 128 GB
      Type DDR3
      Clock Frequency 666 MHz

Metal Information
      Device Name AMD Radeon RX 580

Metal
      Running Sobel
      Running Canny
      Running Stereo Matching
      Running Histogram Equalization
      Running Gaussian Blur
      Running Depth of Field
      Running Face Detection
      Running Horizon Detection
      Running Feature Matching
    [0430/215850:ERROR:src/geekbench/workload/metal/metal_workload.mm(176)] Error compiling function 'compute_keypoints'
    [0430/215850:ERROR:src/interface/console/consolemain.cpp(770)] Geekbench encountered an internal error and cannot continue. Please contact [email blocked] for assistance.

Internal error message: CompilerError Compiler encountered an internal error.

10. 10 Posted by Wajahat Nasim on 04 May, 2020 06:31 AM

Me too getting the same problem... it crashes on Gaussian Blur. I am using GB 5.1.0.

11. 11 Posted by mel on 10 May, 2020 02:17 AM

I'm having the same issue on my 5,1.

I think the common factor could be the RX580 card. I too have a 580 flashed by MacVidCards. I just installed the card today (replacing a NVIDIA GTX 780, so that I could upgrade to Mojave), and got the same hard-crashing issue you described.

This did not occur with the GTX 780 installed.

I uninstalled NVidia specific drivers (including CUDA), but the issue still occurs.

12. 12 Posted by MM on 10 May, 2020 03:44 AM

for what its worth, my RX580 card was *not* flashed by MVC so I don't think flashing is related to the problem.

this part says it all for me, that the problem is with the benchmark, not our system, not flashing, not the OS:

[0430/215850:ERROR:src/geekbench/workload/metal/metal_workload.mm(176)] Error compiling function 'compute_keypoints'
    [0430/215850:ERROR:src/interface/console/consolemain.cpp(770)] Geekbench encountered an internal error and cannot continue. Please contact [email blocked] for assistance.

Internal error message: CompilerError Compiler encountered an internal error.

13. 13 Posted by Daniel Toman on 10 May, 2020 04:02 AM

That’s interesting Mel that you did not see the crash with a different GPU. I wonder if that possibly means it is a power overload shutdown from too much GPU power draw, as someone suggested. I’ve never experienced that, so I don’t know what it looks like.

MM I’m curious does your system show the same type of black screen crash as mine? Or is that error message from some other type of crash? I don’t think I’m able to retrieve any error messages with how hard my system crashes...

14. 14 Posted by MM on 10 May, 2020 05:23 AM

There is no other external affect on my 5,1 other than the GB test fails.
    When run in the GUI the progress window just disappears at the point of failure - every time.
    I have to use the command line that exposes the problem is with the GB 5 benchmark.

I've used multiple cards on this system, some with greater power draws than the RX580.
    I see no evidence of power overload here. That plays nothing into what the log shows me.

This says it all: -> Geekbench encountered an internal error and cannot continue.

The problem is the benchmark code; only the GB folks would be able to give reliably more details.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac