Geekbench 5 Beta

John

21 Aug, 2019 06:08 PM

Geekbench 5 Beta 1 is now available for download! Head over to the Geekbench 5 Beta website for more information. Comments? Questions? Suggestions? Post a comment below.

1. 1 Posted by ACC on 22 Aug, 2019 06:35 PM

I think maybe for all the Ryzen CPUs there should be inclusion of memory frequency

2. 2 Posted by Artem S. Tashki... on 27 Aug, 2019 12:37 PM

1. Please consider adding H.265/AV1 encoding/decoding benchmarks. I know GB is strictly closed source but I guess you can license these libraries. One caveat though: some of these encoders/decoders are not optimized for many-core CPUs.

2. Spectre/Meltdown/etc. mitigations.

Please specify the exact version of the OS the test is running on. E.g. unpatched Windows and Windows with all HW vulnerabilities mitigations applied may show very different results.

For Linux that means showing the exact kernel version, e.g. uname -r and parsing the command line for the mitigation parameter, e.g.

cat /proc/cmdline | grep mitigations or grep . -r /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities (don't know which one is easier to code for).

1. Please, please, please compile all the binaries using the same compiler. Clang 8.0 supports pretty much everything under the Sun nowadays. GB4 shows very different results for different OSes on the same PC: Linux vs Windows GB4

2. Newer CPUs have instruction sets (e.g. AVX/AVX2) to accelerate certain workloads. Looks like you don't have any tests for that.

Nice to have:

1. It would be great to have stress results (not included in the final scores), e.g. run a certain test for over 10 minutes and show its performance for the time span from 1 to 9 minutes (e.g. exclude the first and the last minutes).
  3. 3 Posted by Artem S. Tashki... on 27 Aug, 2019 12:42 PM

Please bring back memory read/write/latency tests but do not include them in the final scores.

Rationale: GB does not always correctly detects memory speeds (especially on Linux/Android/iOS) and these tests allow to see RAM performance and calculate RAM speeds.

4. 4 Posted by Artem S. Tashki... on 27 Aug, 2019 12:49 PM

I've read your tech documentation and it looks like you use LZMA only for compressing text. I guess text is a very specific use case for compression and it make sense to compress other data types, e.g. executables, HTML, images (BMP), audio (WAV), PDFs. A lot of other popular modern file formats are already compressed, so it doesn't make a lot of sense trying to compress them (docx/xlsx = zip, most audio/video codecs are already highly compressed, etc.)

5. 5 Posted by b0b on 29 Aug, 2019 09:32 AM

I really agree with the points from Artem S., especially:

- using the same compiler (at the same version) on the most platforms possible
    - include mitigations enabled/disabled
    - include exact OS version

6. 6 Posted by rtfss1 on 01 Sep, 2019 01:13 AM

Hi,
    I purchased a Geekbench 4 license a while ago but seems isn't valid for Geekbench 5 beta.. will Geekbench 5 require purchasing new licenses? can purchase any license now? any discount for Geekbench 4 owners?
    finally any news on Android and IOS Geekbench 5 beta?

7. 7 Posted by Alex on 03 Sep, 2019 12:21 PM

./geekbench5
    ./geekbench5: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by ./geekbench5)
    ./geekbench5: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./geekbench5)

8. 8 Posted by rogeradams on 03 Sep, 2019 02:09 PM

Hi Alex,

Problem resolved. Thank you for your feedback.

Cheers

Roger

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac