performance degrading after memory upgrade

pascal

19 Jul, 2019 07:28 AM

I was hoping for a little more overall system performance after doubling the memory of my late 2013 iMac from 8 to 16 GB

But after the upgrade the geekbench scores are actally worse off :) E.g. a single-core score of 4119 vs 4025, and a multi-core score of 12219 vs 11791

Now, from what I understand looking into this forum these scores should be treated as "more or less the same" (right?). But what could be the reason for the scores not to be "at least slightly better"?

Any thoughts on that?

tia!
pascal

1. 1 Posted by Gordon on 24 Jul, 2019 06:08 PM

You're withing the margin of error. The new SO-DIMMS (memory) may have slightly different timings too which can move the score. But...it's essentially the same. Don't even sweat it. It's better to have MORE RAM even if slightly lower latency or even lower clock speeds than to be starved for memory and caching everything out to the hard drive (2013). If you're really looking for an upgrade, put a SATA SSD in there but mind the stupid fans going into high speed because of the whacky way Apple builds its iMacs.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac