Multi Core vs Single Core scores....Should the multi core score be roughly single core x # of cores?

jb

04 Apr, 2019 05:48 PM

As a rule of thumb, should the multi core score = single core score x # of cores?

A bit of context, I have been working to optimize my 2010 Mac Pro 12 core 2.33GHZ, Sata SSD boot drive (see attached screen grab for full deets) and comparing it's performance to 2012 Mac Pro 3.46 GHZ with a NVMe boot drive (see attached screen grab for full deets)

Obviously the gross single and multi core scores will be different. However the relationship between the single and multi core score for each machine is also different. For example

2010 12 core 2.33Ghz
     • single core score - 2469
     • multi core score - 17589
     • multi core is only 7.12 times faster

2012 12 core 3.46Ghz
     • single core score - 2791
     • multi core score - 32060
     • multi core is 11.48 times faster

Why isn?t my machines multi score approximately 12 times the single core score? Would it help to upgrade to NVMe boot drive? Is there firmware, bios or other software updates? Does it matter what RAM i use or where it is positioned in the slots?

Thank you.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2019-04-04_at_10.24.24_AM.png 614 KB
  • Screen_Shot_2019-04-04_at_10.47.33_AM.png 199 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac