Mac Pro 2009 12 core slow vs 2009 6 core

Bart

25 May, 2018 09:17 AM

Both of them got the same X5670 (both of them upgraded to 5,1) - basically the same machines - the one difference is single and dual CPU.

In Geekbench 4:

6 Core got about 14.000 points
12 Core got barely 19.000 points

I was expecting around 28.000 or with some loss 27.000 - it is stunning 8000 points less - this is the speed of the latest MacBook Pro 13 TouchBar.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Colin on 25 May, 2018 05:05 PM

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. Geekbench 4's Multi-Core CPU scores are not expected to scale linearly with the number of cores in a device, as core scheduling, inter-core communication, and cache behaviour can have a substantial effect on the device's measured performance.

I'm not able to find specifications for the Mac Pro 2009 with a 12-core X5670 -- is this the Mac Pro 2010, or am I perhaps looking in the wrong place? The average Multi-Core CPU score for the Mac Pro 2010 with a 12-core X5670 (available here) is similar to to your result, if that is the case.

All the best,
    Colin
    Primate Labs Inc.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac