Discrepancy between GB3 and GB4 on multi-processor Mac

Pat

10 May, 2018 09:29 AM

I've got a Mac Pro 5,1 with 2 Xeon x5680 CPUs for a total of 12 cores.
Everything checks out fine on Apple's hardware diagnostic software.
I realize that the results in GB3 and GB4 won't be the same but I question the ratio of single core and multi-core scores.
GB3 shows 2714 (single) 30184 (multi) about 11X faster and what I would expect
GB4 shows 2729 (single) 17603 (multi) about 6.5X faster!!
Cinebench R15 shows 108 (single) 1560 (multiple) on the CPU rendering test about 14X faster
Checking other results cited in MacTracker for this 12-core model I see a similar ratio of about 6 between single and multi-core GB4 tests.
This makes me wonder of GB4 is seeing and measuring only 1 of the CPUs while GB3 and Cinebench are measuring both CPUs.

I'd really appreciate any help clearing this up.
Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Pat on 10 May, 2018 09:32 AM

Apologies.
    My SpellWrecker entered an incorrect email address so I'm reposting with the correct address.

I've got a Mac Pro 5,1 with 2 Xeon x5680 CPUs for a total of 12 cores.
    Everything checks out fine on Apple's hardware diagnostic software.
    I realize that the results in GB3 and GB4 won't be the same but I question the ratio of single core and multi-core scores.
    GB3 shows 2714 (single) 30184 (multi) about 11X faster and what I would expect
    GB4 shows 2729 (single) 17603 (multi) only 6.5X faster!!
    Cinebench R15 shows 108 (single) 1560 (multiple) on the CPU rendering test about 14X faster
    Checking other results cited in MacTracker for this 12-core model I see a similar ratio of about 6 between single and multi-core GB4 tests.
    This makes me wonder of GB4 is seeing and measuring only 1 of the CPUs while GB3 and Cinebench are measuring both CPUs.

I'd really appreciate any help clearing this up.
    Thanks.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Sarah on 10 May, 2018 04:50 PM

Hi Pat,

Thanks for posting. I'd like to take a closer look at what is showing up on your Geekbench 4 result.

If you have uploaded it to the Geekbench Browser, could you post a link to the Geekbench 4 result for your system? If you haven't uploaded it there, could you attach it here?

Thanks,

Sarah
    Primate Labs Inc.

3. 3 Posted by Pat on 10 May, 2018 10:42 PM

Hi Sarah,
    Here are GB3 and GB4 results for this machine.

(Oddly enough, your server objected to the formatting and suggested zipping.)
    thanks,
    Pat

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Sarah on 11 May, 2018 05:32 PM

Hi Pat,

Thanks for sharing the results. According to the Geekbench 4 result, it appears that the multi-core CPU benchmark is measuring the performance of all of your device's cores (i.e. the cores from both processors). How the multi-core score compares to the single-core score depends on a few factors, including how the processor schedules tasks between cores and how much communication between cores is required.

These search results in the Geekbench Browser might be useful for you to compare your device to other similar devices:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?utf8=✓&q=macpro5%2C...

Geekbench 3 scores and Geekbench 4 scores are not comparable mainly because the two differ in terms of workloads used during the benchmark, and so scores are determined differently. The multi-core benchmark in Geekbench 4 has changed as well, so it is possible that a GB4 multi-core score would differ more than a GB4 single-core score would to the GB3 scores.

If your device supports both, I would suggest using a Geekbench 4 benchmark as it has been updated to measure more accurately, and to measure more relevant performance characteristics.

I hope that helps clarify things! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Warm regards,

Sarah
    Primate Labs Inc.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac