problems with v2.3.1 on linux

Andrea D'Andrea

10 Jun, 2012 10:06 PM

Hi there,

I downloaded the last linux version of geekbench to run it on an old PC with Puppy Linux 5.1.1.
The benchmark runs but is unable to send the result to the Browser. See here the error message:
.... Running Stream Add Running Stream Triad

Uploading results to the Geekbench Result Browser. This could take a minute
or two depending on the speed of your internet connection.

server returned HTTP error code 500 #

My connection to internet is ok and I'm browsing browser.primatelabs.com with firefox, but geekbench cannot seem to connect to the browser.
I also tried to save the result of the benchmark to a file (to upload it from another pc) but the option --save does not seem to work in tryout mode.
I must admit that the system I'm trying to test is lower than the suggested minimum (256MB) and different distro (Puppy), but the test itself seems to work, only the connection fails.

I'd like to ask also if there is any old version which is able to run on win98 and upload the results.

Nice regards,
Andrea

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by John on 18 Jun, 2012 06:54 PM

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your message. When you try and upload results do you always get a 500 Server Error as a response?

Also, I don't have an old version of Geekbench that runs on Windows 98 (all versions require at least Windows XP). Sorry!

Thanks,
    John

2. 2 Posted by Andrea D'Andrea on 19 Jun, 2012 10:32 AM

Hi John,

first of all thanks for answering :)

This is the resume of the tests I did:
    - V2.3.1 on linux: it runs the benchmark and always makes 500 Server Error; not possible to save files so dead end for me atm. - V2.2.7 on linux: it runs the benchmark and always makes 500 Server Error; also runs the benchmark and saves it on file, but if I try to --upload the file I always get 500 Server Error. - V2.2.7 on mac: it works perfectly and uploads the benchmarks as soon as they finish, but can't upload benchmarks from files (500 Server Error). I tried this with files created on mac and files created on linux but no way I manage to upload an offline result (mac and linux are on the same network, so I tend to think it is not a networking issue). - V2.2.7 on windows: I cannot reproduce it now, but I'm 99% sure it happens the same than mac version: I can upload the benchmarks as soon as they finish, but when I try to upload from a file I also get 500 Server Error (I tried it with files from win version in one case I had not internet connection).

When I first used Geekbench on mac and win, I made my mind that to be able to upload a benchmark to the browser I had to have at the same time on the same machine:
    - Geekbench running, - a working internet connection, - an open browser already logged to the Geekbench browser page. This way I was able to upload some benchmarks of mine (id=andreadandrea).
    Now since linux version never can seem to be able to connect and I could not find any other version/platform able to upload offline files, I've been out of luck with it.

About win98, maybe I found a way to circumvent the problem, if it is possible to make the linux version to work. I would try to boot that old pc with the Puppy Linux live cd, take Geekbench in from a pendrive or internet and run it from ram disk.
    It could work but I'll try that only if I find a way to upload the result file somehow.

Maybe you could consider to add serverside the option to upload a geekbench file from any internet browser to the user profile (no idea if it is doable and I feel like you are not pursuing that).

Best regards and congratulation for your software:)

3. 3 Posted by Andrea D'Andrea on 02 Jul, 2012 10:14 PM

Hi John,

first of all thanks for answering :)

This is the resume of the tests I did:
    - V2.3.1 on linux: it runs the benchmark and always makes 500 Server Error; not possible to save files so dead end for me atm.
    - V2.2.7 on linux: it runs the benchmark and always makes 500 Server Error; also runs the benchmark and saves it on file, but if I try to --upload
    the file I always get 500 Server Error.
    - V2.2.7 on mac: it works perfectly and uploads the benchmarks as soon as they finish, but can't upload benchmarks from files (500 Server Error).
    I tried this with files created on mac and files created on linux but no way I manage to upload an offline result (mac and linux are on the same
    network, so I tend to think it is not a networking issue).
    - V2.2.7 on windows: I cannot reproduce it now, but I'm 99% sure it happens the same than mac version: I can upload the benchmarks as soon as they
    finish, but when I try to upload from a file I also get 500 Server Error (I tried it with files from win version in one case I had not internet
    connection).

When I first used Geekbench on mac and win, I made my mind that to be able to upload a benchmark to the browser I had to have at the same time on
    the same machine:
    - Geekbench running,
    - a working internet connection,
    - an open browser already logged to the Geekbench browser page.
    This way I was able to upload some benchmarks of mine (id=andreadandrea).
    Now since linux version never can seem to be able to connect and I could not find any other version/platform able to upload offline files, I've
    been out of luck with it.

About win98, maybe I found a way to circumvent the problem, if it is possible to make the linux version to work. I would try to boot that old pc
    with the Puppy Linux live cd, take Geekbench in from a pendrive or internet and run it from ram disk.
    It could work but I'll try that only if I find a way to upload the result file somehow.

Maybe you could consider to add serverside the option to upload a geekbench file from any internet browser to the user profile (no idea if it is
    doable and I feel like you are not pursuing that).

Best regards and congratulation for your software:)
    Andrea

PS. I sent this some days ago but I resend it as I feel it got lost somehow...

Il giorno 18/giu/2012, alle ore 20.54, John ha scritto:

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by John on 07 Jul, 2012 08:01 PM

Hi Andrea,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Could you send me a copy of the 2.2.7 file you're trying to upload? That's probably the fastest way for me to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks,
    John

5. 5 Posted by Andrea D'Andrea on 02 Sep, 2012 10:50 PM

Dear John,

sorry for being so slow to answer!!!
    Here I send you some files I created with Geekbench on mac, pc and win, and that I have not been able to upload from file. It would be nice if you're able to upload them to my profile andreadandrea.

From linux (Puppy Linux) I get 500 Server Error.

From mac (Leopard PPC) I get something like File Corrupt Error.

From win (XP SP3) I get some error but I cannot remind which exactly.

I also was able to get a new PC, which I installed as dual-boot linux (Ubuntu LTS 12.04) and win (XP SP3) and got Geekbench 2.3.4 to work there. It worked perfectly and I was able to upload both benchmarks to my profile.

Best regards,
    Andrea

Il giorno 07/lug/2012, alle ore 22.01, John ha scritto:

6. 6 Posted by Andrea D'Andrea on 02 Sep, 2012 11:32 PM

And I forgot to attach the important one! :)

I checked all the files again and this one is the only one that now server returns status code 500...

Il giorno 07/lug/2012, alle ore 22.01, John ha scritto:

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by John on 18 Oct, 2012 04:41 AM

Hi Andrea,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, and thanks for sending me the file. I'm able to reproduce the problem and I think I know what the problem is now. I'll try and sneak in a fix for it in an upcoming version of Geekbench. I'll let you know when it's available for you to test.

Thanks for your patience with this issue.

Best,
    John

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac