Compute on Linux, problem with CL

Greg Holmberg

16 Oct, 2017 06:59 PM

I tried running "geekbench4 --compute" on my Linux system, and got this error message:

Internal error message: clGetPlatformIDs.

Missing the OpenCL library or wrong version? Not sure...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Colin on 16 Oct, 2017 10:05 PM

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about this, and I'm sorry for any trouble caused by this issue. I'm not certain what could be causing this problem based on the error message. Could you post a link to a CPU result from your device on the Geekbench Browser so that I can take a closer look at your device's setup?

Thanks,
    Colin
    Primate Labs Inc.

2. 2 Posted by Greg Holmberg on 19 Oct, 2017 06:14 PM

Here's my third attempt at replying to this discussion. So far, the comments are not appearing in the discussion. I don't understand why. But here's my third and last attempt to give you the URL you asked for.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4498027

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Colin on 19 Oct, 2017 10:03 PM

Hi Greg,

Thank you. I'm looking into this issue now, though I would like to ask for some additional details to help us investigate more effectively. Could you let me know what Compute devices / graphics cards your system has, and if your graphics drivers are up to date? If they are not, that might be the cause of this issue.

Regardless, I will let you know if I can find any more information to get your benchmarks up and running.

All the best,
    Colin
    Primate Labs Inc.

4. 4 Posted by Greg Holmberg on 19 Oct, 2017 10:52 PM

It has no separate GPU, just the graphics integrated into the Intel Core i5-5200U, which is "HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)" using the "i915" driver.

The system updates daily. Running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.4.0-97-generic x86_64.

Is some implementation of OpenCL a part of the standard Ubuntu installation, or do I need to install it separately?

I installed the clinfo command ("sudo apt-get install clinfo"). Running it, it says:

Number of platforms 0

In addition I did "ldd clinfo", which shows:

linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007ffd9a23b000)
    libOpenCL.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so.1 (0x00007f2f10b32000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f2f1092e000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f2f10564000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f2f10d3d000)

So there is an implementation of the OpenCL library installed.

I don't know anything about OpenCL myself, but perhaps this gives you some clues.

Greg

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Colin on 20 Oct, 2017 05:36 PM

Hi Greg,

Thanks for providing so much detail. You will need to install some tools to allow OpenCL to run on your machine. Intel provides the resources you need on their website here, along with some instructions on their forums which may be useful here. After getting OpenCL set up on your system, the Geekbench benchmark should work without issue.

All the best,
    Colin

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac