Why is this icon showing in my computer network if I didn't download it?

JT

30 Sep, 2017 08:48 PM

I apologize if I am on the wrong Blog but I have looked and looked for an answer to my question and the icon showing on my computer network that I did not download anything that I know of to create it reads Amazon KFDOWI douglas MAC 78:e1:03:12:96:ae and that information has led me here. I do not have knowledge of computer programing. I just want to be sure my computer is still secure. I did just purchase an Amazon Fire 8 HD and downloaded an Xfinity app to stream on it from my internet. Could this be it and is it secure? I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by swanisabellabel... on 29 Mar, 2018 06:25 AM

Thanks for the information.

2. 32 Posted by Mike on 26 May, 2018 05:26 AM

Douglas was appearing while my wife was using her Kindle Voyage e-reader. The moment she shut it off Douglas disappeared. I first noticed it earlier today and after reading the previous posts I tested my theory and found it to be accurate. In my situation, the mystery Douglas icon is due to her e-reader, 100% certain. I also have an Alexa Dot but it seems that this Amazon device is not causing any Douglas issues. Hope this help.

3. 33 Posted by Heidi on 26 May, 2018 05:31 PM

Hello all. I'm just experiencing this problem now. I've noticed that it's showing up on my PC, yet these mysterious names and connections are not on my web face configuration, which is where I can control, and see what is going on with my router. I will change the password and see if that works. I just find it weird that it's never happened before.

4. 34 Posted by Walt on 26 May, 2018 06:08 PM

See 22 Posted by sam on Feb 01, 2018 @ 04:36 PM
    These are all bogus and can be ignored. They are not real devices so stop looking for them. Really an MS bug.

5. 35 Posted by mike.choma on 27 May, 2018 05:45 AM

-------- Original message --------From: Heidi <[email blocked]> Date: 5/26/18 11:31 AM (GMT-07:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Why is this icon showing in my computer network if I didn't download it? [Geekbench #18937]

Heidi,
    It has something to do with the usage of Amazon devices.  On my network "Douglas" appears every time my wife uses her Kindle Voyage e-reader presumably because of its WiFi. It also appears every time I listen to music through my speaker connected to an Amazon Alexa Dot using bluetooth.  As to why this is happening I just do not know.
    "Douglas" will not appear in your router because it has no IP address.  If it makes you more secure change your password.  I have not changed mine and I do not plan to do so.
    Be aware I am not a techie and you should continue to find a final answer to your question and do whatever it takes to be totally satisfied.  I am only letting you know what my experience has been on an informational basis only.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone ================================================= 

Hello all. I'm just experiencing this problem now. I've noticed that it's showing up on my PC, yet these mysterious names and connections are not on my web face configuration, which is where I can control, and see what is going on with my router. I will change the password and see if that works. I just find it weird that it's never happened before.

6. 36 Posted by Sam Hobbs on 27 May, 2018 08:34 AM

Mike you said "the mystery Douglas icon is due to her e-reader, 100% certain". Are you 100% certain you have compared the MAC address? If the MAC id of the Douglas icon is different from the MAC id of the e-reader then they are likely not the same thing.

7. 37 Posted by mike.choma on 28 May, 2018 08:23 PM

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
    -------- Original message --------From: Walt <[email blocked]> Date: 5/28/18 8:25 AM (GMT-07:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Why is this icon showing in my computer network if I didn't download it? [Geekbench #18937]
    Thanks.  In my case the "Douglas" icon that appears is directly related to an Amazon Kindle e-reader that she owns and an Amazon Echo Dot that my wife and I own.  I started seeing this icon in my network after the Windows 10 April 2018 Update.  It only appears when her Kindle is powered on or when the Echo Dot is active and not in stand-by mode.  I personally am not going to lose sleep over it.  I do wish Microsoft would get their act together though with their semi-annual major updates.

8. 38 Posted by Sam Hobbs on 28 May, 2018 09:43 PM

mike.choma, in reference to "Microsoft would get their act together", see my post on Jan 12, 2018. I submitted a suggestion to Microsoft that they provide more information about these devices. Microsoft is more likely to act on that if people vote it up.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac