Understanding System Information for a virtual machine

Dustin

08 May, 2017 10:34 PM

I love Geekbench 4! Recently I've been in interested in performance comparisons between bare metal and VM systems.

Recently I've come across an observation of how Geekbench represents the number of vCPUs for a VM. As seen in the attached screenshot, Geekbench is reporting the processor having 8 cores, which I suspect is impossible because the processor (Xeon E3-1505M v5) is only quad-core.

I understand the hypervisor will determine the # of vCPU per core, however, from my own testing it appears Geekbench is detecting the # of vCPUs and is incorrectly reporting this as # of cores.

If so, that's fine. I'm more just curious if this will be consistent across all virtual environments.

Thanks!
--Dustin

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Colin on 06 Sep, 2017 02:29 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your message, and I apologize for the delayed response. You are correct that how Geekbench reports the topology depends on how the virtualization layer exposes the underlying topology to the guest OS. This should be consistent across virtual environments.

Regards,
    Colin
    Primate Labs Inc.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Untitled.png 39.3 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac