Will adding RAM and changing from HDD to SSD effect Geekbench score?

Todd

01 Apr, 2017 11:21 PM

I have an iMac (Late 2009) Core 2 Duo 3.06ghz. Browsing through the scores for this particular model, I figured the higher scores must belong to upgraded versions, and the upgrades that have been recommended to me are RAM and changing from HDD to SSD. I have 4gb RAM and the default 512gb HDD.

Anyway, I was surprised to see my iMac deliver close to the top available scores (I got 2013 for single and 3427 for multi-core) for this model. Would more RAM and/or switching to SSD improve my Geekbench score?

1. 1 Posted by GTAlmasi on 16 Nov, 2017 03:57 PM

I've wondered this myself.

2. 2 Posted by Todd Jensen on 16 Nov, 2017 05:35 PM

Not sure but I think the answer I came across is that Geekbench testing is
    designed to isolate processor performance without regard to other
    components. So I think the answer is no.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Colin on 17 Nov, 2017 07:00 PM

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Changing to SSD is not expected to alter your Geekbench score, as your system's responsiveness does not necessarily correlate to its performance in completing processor-intensive tasks.

The effects of changing your RAM configuration on your Geekbench score can be difficult to predict. Geekbench 4 uses a fixed amount of memory, and scores are partly correlated to the speed at which your processor can access memory used for the workloads. Adding a substantial amount of RAM in excess of the amount that Geekbench uses is not expected to increase your score.

Your Geekbench score may increase if you add RAM to make more complete use of, for example, a quad-channel architecture. Adding RAM can also decrease your score if it is misconfigured, causing slow memory accesses. These kinds of special cases make it difficult to determine how adding RAM will affect your scores, if at all.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I would be happy to help out.

All the best,
    Colin
    Primate Labs Inc.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac